13/1/09

YOUR STORIES 2 - English Reading Club - Bookworms

ROCKS by César Nieves

Indelible witnesses and traces of the pass of time in our nearest Universe. Ancient bulks, sentries of the space, guardians of the vigilantes of the stars in the slow nights that caress the sky and the sunrises that caress the horizons. Bastions, watchtowers, fortresses of imaginary wars, shelter of beings and souls from the beginning of the times, shelter of life.

How many sunrises will you see? Spectators of a never-ending performance, you will be ever-present until the end of times. Milestones in the trials of human endeavour.



FORGOTTEN UMBRELLAS by Luis Domínguez de la Iglesia

There was a sudden gust of wind, a strong and coward blow of the wind, a gale, a violent squall. I could not gauge the effort my Lord had to perform before the surrender. Neither my structure nor the strength of Lord Fabian were enough to overwhelm nature’s force. The wind tore us apart. Lord Fabian would helplessly watch the path through which I will initiate the soaring whilst our twenty years of close friendship -- almost a chemical bond – diluted by my getting out of his sight, beyond his reach.
There was a time when I was his constant companion. He personally carved his initials into my handle. LFU, before Lord Fabian Usher, now Lost Forgotten Umbrella. I was very proud of being part of the valuable personal belongings of my Sir. He never left the manor house without his hat and his umbrella, thus, I had the opportunity to know the most interesting places and the most different people. “May I have your hat and your umbrella, Sir?” The most exclusive clubs of London were such as my second house. Elegant ladies had found beneath me an appropriate shelter amid unexpected showers. I witnessed furtive kisses, prelude to passionate love affairs.
My new reality is the mud and the ivy surrounding the spoiled garden of the mired house where I landed. The only person I could see was the old woman who would come seven days a week to nurture the kittens. I woke up several times during my first night in this kind of haunted house. Different strident noises and unbearable smells instead of the scents of flowers and the rhythmic sound of the clock.
Now my only hope is to be found by a skilful vagabond, who might be able to fix me, and be acquired in a car boot sale

No hay comentarios: